Entertainment

Disney+’s Final Word: Kim Soo-hyun’s 60B KRW Drama – What’s the Outcome?

The highly anticipated Disney+ original series ‘Knock-Off’—a high-budget production with an estimated cost of 60 billion KRW (approx. $41 million USD) has hit a major roadblock due to a personal controversy involving its lead actor, Kim Soo-hyun.

A Sudden Shift in Disney+’s Position

The drama, originally slated to premiere in the first half of 2025, now faces an indefinite delay, with Season 1’s release schedule unclear and Season 2’s production fully halted. On March 21, Disney+ officially confirmed the postponement, stating the project had been put on hold “after careful consideration.”

While many had criticized the platform for its silence, the ongoing public scrutiny surrounding Kim has made it difficult for Disney to proceed with such a massive project as originally planned.

Just a day prior, a production insider told Maeil Business Star Today that there was no official announcement regarding the release date of Knock Off. “The rumored April release was reported by the media,” they said, refusing to comment further: “We cannot provide any response about Knock-Off.”

This marks a stark contrast from the company’s previous stance on March 12, when it had maintained that “Season 2 is proceeding as scheduled,” and that “release and press event dates will be announced later.” According to SPOTV News, Season 1 was initially set to follow the March 19 release of ‘Hyper Knife’, with Season 2 coming later in 2025. Filming for Season 1 had already wrapped, and Season 2 was well underway. The original plan called for a spring 2025 debut—mid to late April at the latest—but that now seems unlikely.

What Is Knock-Off About?

Knock Off tells the story of an ordinary man whose life is turned upside down during the IMF crisis, eventually rising to power in the world of counterfeit goods. With a total of 18 episodes planned, Disney+ had intended to release the first nine in Season 1 and the remaining nine in Season 2.

During a showcase event in Singapore last November, Kim Soo-hyun spoke about the project, saying, “There are so many fascinating characters in Knock-Off. My character, Kim Sung joon, faces countless crises, and I wanted to show how he overcomes them, grows, and transforms.”

Now, however, all those plans are on the brink of collapse. The crisis began when YouTube channel Garo Sero Institute alleged that Kim Soo-hyun had dated the late actress Kim Sae-ron for six years—beginning in 2015, when he was 27 and she was 15.

Kim’s Agency firmly denied the claims, stating that the two dated briefly between the summer of 2019 and fall of 2020, after Kim Sae-ron had reached adulthood.

In response, Kim Sae ron’s family has demanded a public apology and reportedly initiated a digital forensic investigation of her phone to support their claims. With both sides locked in a tense standoff, the controversy shows no signs of fading soon.

The Fallout—and Who Pays the Price

The impact of the scandal is spreading beyond Kim himself. Co-star Cho Bo ah, for example, reportedly postponed her honeymoon after getting married in October last year to focus on filming Knock-Off.

At the show’s press event in November, Jo had expressed her excitement: “Our drama covers key moments in Korean modern history from the 1990s and 2000s. It’s an honor to present something so unique on Disney+.” Now, as whispers of an industry-wide “Kim Soo-hyun erasure” grow louder, speculation is rising over whether he’ll go into hiatus and absorb the financial damage—or attempt to return to the spotlight through direct confrontation.

The $41 Million Question: What Happens to Knock-Off?

The greatest concern is the fate of the massive 60 billion KRW production. Some industry voices suggest that if Knock-Off is canceled altogether, Kim Soo-hyun may be held financially responsible. With potential penalties and compensation claims involved, the losses could be astronomical.

Related Posts

Bombshell Revelations: Is Jay-Z’s Lawyer Caught in a Bribery Scandal to Manipulate Justice?

In a shocking turn of events, Jay-Z’s legal troubles have escalated dramatically, as allegations of misconduct and potential bribery emerge against his legal team. The latest developments stem…

Jay-Z Sends a Stark Warning to 50 Cent After Explosive Diddy Documentary Shakes Hip-Hop Scene!

In a dramatic turn of events that has captivated the hip-hop community, Jay-Z has issued a cautionary signal to 50 Cent following the latter’s bombshell revelations in a…

Red Velvet Shake-Up: Yeri & Wendy Exit SM but Pledge Loyalty to Group

Table of contentsYeri’s Emotional MessageWendy’s Official StatementSM’s Official Announcement Yeri’s Emotional Message Red Velvet’s Yeri has sparked both concern and heartfelt reactions from fans after sending a deeply…

Actor Dubbed ‘Repeat Offender’ Slammed Again for Inappropriate Behavior in Viral Interview

On March 27, the first episode of the show “Negotiation King” aired, where Kim Won-hoon approached people on the street to conduct a survey about ice cream brand…

Kim Soo Hyun Strikes Back: Legal War Erupts Over Teen Dating Allegations and YouTube Accusations

The legal battle between top actor Kim Soo-hyun and the family of the late Kim Sae-ron has escalated, with experts warning that the family may face serious criminal…

Netizens Call Kim Soo Hyun’s Press Conference a ‘Repeat Performance’ of Edison Chen’s Scandal Apology

Actor Kim Soo-hyun‘s recent press conference aimed at clarifying his alleged relationship with the late Kim Sae-ron has sparked widespread backlash, not for its content, but for its…