News

Wimbledon officials make 145-year change after Serena Williams drama

In what is believed to be a first in the 145-year history of Wimbledon, officials at the All England Club will allow players to practice on the main courts in an attempt to avoid the nasty scenes that plagued the grass-court grand slam last year.

 

Controversy erupted at Wimbledon in 2021 when the opening rounds saw a number of players fall and injure themselves on the slippery surface.

 

Serena Williams was the highest-profile victim after she was forced to retire hurt in the opening round.

 

Adrian Mannarino also retired hurt against Roger Federer, while Novak Djokovic and Nick Kyrgios were among other players to take scary tumbles.

 

Addressing the furore at the time, Wimbledon officials said the wettest two opening days of Wimbledon “in almost a decade” led to “additional moisture” on the grass on Centre Court because the retractable roof had been closed for long periods.

 

 

In an attempt to avoid the same ugly scenes at this year’s tournament, officials will reportedly let players practice on Centre Court and Court 1 so they can acclimatise to the conditions and ‘break in’ the surface.

 

Players will be granted access to the show courts in the lead-up to the tournament so the grass will be more worn and not as wet.

 

A tournament representative revealed on Sunday there would be “limited practice” as part of an “enhanced playing in” of the two main courts.

 

It is believed to be the first time in Wimbledon’s 145-year history that such a move has been made.

 

The three other grand slams all allow players to practice on the main courts before the tournament gets underway, but Wimbledon has always attempted to protect the surface to ensure it doesn’t get too worn out by the second week.

 

 

Serena Williams returns after devastating withdrawal

 

Williams was forced to retire hurt in tears after playing just six games in her opening round match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich last year.

 

The 23-time grand slam champion hasn’t played in the 12 months that have followed the heartbreaking scenes, but will make her return at Wimbledon after accepting a wildcard.

 

In shocking scenes, Mannarino suffered the same fate as Williams in the very next match on Centre Court.

 

“This is obviously terrible that it’s back-to-back matches and it hits Serena as well,” Federer said at the time.

 

“Oh, my God, I can’t believe it.

 

“I do feel it feels a tad more slippery maybe under the roof…You do have to move very, very carefully out there. If you push too hard in the wrong moments, you do go down.”

 

Andy Murray called the conditions “extremely” slippery at the time, saying it was “not easy to move out there”.

 

While eventual champion Djokovic added: “I don’t remember falling this many times on the court.”

 

A young ball kid was also taken off the court in a stretcher after slipping and falling later in the tournament.

 

Tennis fans were left fuming at the time, with some describing the ugly scenes as a ‘disgrace’.

 

The move to allow players to practice on the main courts comes amid more controversy surrounding Wimbledon.

 

Russian and Belarusian players are banned from the tournament due to Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, with the ATP and WTA stripping Wimbledon of rankings points in retaliation to the shock decision.

 

Back to back retirements on Centre Court due to wet grass. Unsafe conditions, @Wimbledon. What a disgrace!

— Beth Bois de L’Est 😺🏳️‍🌈🇺🇦🇪🇺🇫🇷🇺🇸🇬🇧😷 (@BethEastwood) June 29, 2021

How can anyone play their best tennis when you have to watch every move on slippery surface, disgrace

— Patti 🇨🇦 🇺🇦 🇵🇱 (@patriciantaurus) June 29, 2021

Fix the Centre Court! Two slips and two injuries in a matter of hours is a disgrace for the most prestigious tennis tournament in the world. #Wimbledon https://t.co/kb1cYV2MGm

— Chidike Okeem (@VOICEOFCHID) June 29, 2021

Related Posts

Elon Musk decides to gift Alysa Liu a Tesla after she becomes the first American woman in 19 years to win the world figure skating championship

In a heartwarming and unexpected move, Elon Musk has decided to gift Alysa Liu, the newly crowned World Figure Skating Champion, a brand-new Tesla after her historic victory….

Rafael Nadal shocked the entire world by rejecting Elon Musk’s $10 million offer: “Keep it and use it for something that truly helps people!”

In a jaw-dropping move, tennis legend Rafael Nadal has stunned the world by turning down a generous $10 million offer from none other than tech mogul Elon Musk….

Serena Williams Tries on the Jean Skirt She Couldn’t Wear Prior to Weight Loss: ‘Will It or Will It Not Fit?’

Serena Williams is ending 2024 by celebrating a big milestone. The tennis champ, 43, has been documenting her weight loss journey on Instagram after giving birth to her second daughter, Adira River,…

The British Royal Family decided to announce the saddest news that made fans cry: “Prince William confirmed that his wife

Iп the weeks after Kate, Priпcess of Wales, revealed her caпcer diagпosis, a rυmor sυrfaced oп Facebook aboυt her hυsbaпd, Priпce William. Posts claimed that William had made…

How to see the moon turn red during March’s total lunar eclipse

Sky-gazers across the Western Hemisphere will be in for a celestial treat this week when the full moon appears to turn crimson during a total lunar eclipse. The…

Garosero Research Institute shares late Kim Sae Ron’s Twitter post and couple photo, announces further disclosure if no apology is issued

On March 13, Garosero Research Institute released a video on its YouTube channel titled “Kim Sae Ron Driven to Death by LKB,” in which they disclosed photographs of…